Thank you for your interest in being a volunteer for SARA House! Volunteers fulfill such an important role in the mission of our agency. Through hard work and dedication, we can accomplish our goal of ending sexual and domestic violence in our communities.
Every task supports the work we do and strengthens the services we provide to sexual assault and domestic violence survivors in our community. This is why we are so proud to offer a variety of volunteer opportunities.
The role of a volunteer at SARA House can look quite different depending on what you wish to get out of your volunteer experience. Whether you are a survivor or not, have access to transportation or not, or want to do direct service or not we can find a role for you.
Volunteers play an important role in the work of SARA House and help to ensure we can provide 24-hour coverage of our crisis and support line, accompany survivors to the hospital and law enforcement, and other work that helps us provide services to survivors. A few examples of what duties volunteers could complete:
- Answer the crisis and support line to provide crisis intervention, information, referrals, and support to sexual assault and/or domestic violence survivors after hours
- Provide in-person advocacy for survivors and/or families
- Assistance with finding local resources
- Language assistance
- Assemble informational folders for survivors/families
- Assist with organizing, promoting, and attending fundraising events
- Staff booths at fairs and community events
- Engage in community education and prevention efforts
Every volunteer must complete a minimum number of training hours in person and online. No matter what role you fulfill at our agency you should expect our staff to communicate frequently to answer questions, provide support, and help find the right fit for you at our agency. Requirements to volunteer:
- Complete a volunteer application (can be accessed here)
- Complete a volunteer interview
- Complete a background check
- Direct service volunteers need to be at least 18 years old and require the full 45 hours of training
For more information or questions contact Sara Hergenreter at email@example.com